Disneyland has officially announced a new interactive experience for the Golden Horseshoe in Frontierland. “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!” promises to be more than a stage show but an interactive experience where guests will become part of the development of characters and story direction. The story will also involve entertainment, merchandise and food throughout Frontierland creating a unique experience for each performance.
Disney provides the following setting for “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!”:
Frontierland and its neighbor, Rainbow Ridge, are in the midst of a good, ol’ fashioned land feud. Rainbow Ridge – a once-booming mining town – has dried up, and they have their eyes set on Frontierland. The steady, hardworking folk in Frontierland want to keep the town safe and free of rougharound-the-edges, opportunistic types. Rumors are spreading that gold has been discovered in mines belonging to Frontierland, and there is even a rumor that Frontierland itself sits on the motherlode! Whether or not the rumors are true, the folk in Rainbow Ridge have one thing on their minds: take over Frontierland! Thus, the struggle begins
Disney has set up several interactive stations throughout Frontierland enabling guests to become a part of the story-line for “Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!”. Locations include the Sheriff’s Office and Jail, the Hideout, the Trading Post, a Telegraph Station, a Card Table inside the Golden Horseshoe, and a Talent Agency. Guests participating in the story development can create their own character and choose a side, either the “peaceful citizens of Frontierland” or the “opportunistic Rainbow Ridge townsfolk”. Players can also participate in the various locations located throughout Frontierland, interact with other “fellow citizens” wearing your town’s color, and earn “bits” which will aid participants in making “land purchases”.
The Parks Blog provides the following descriptions of each location in Frontierland:
- Trading Post – This is the meeting place and first stop for new Frontierland citizens. This is also where citizens can keep up with the latest Frontierland news and swap plans for fending off those Rainbow Ridge ruffians.
- Hideout – Like the Trading Post, the Hideout is the first stop and central meeting place for citizens of Rainbow Ridge.
- Telegraph Station – The information hub of Frontierland, this is the place to send and receive important messages.
- Sheriff’s Office and Jail – This is where outlaws are brought to justice and where lawmakers work to keep the peace.
- Talent Agency – Based in the Golden Horseshoe, this is where new talent is discovered and showcased in Frontierland.
- Card Table – Also located in the Golden Horseshoe, this ongoing card game plays host to outlaws and heroes alike. Be careful what you say here! You never know who may be listening.
Two weeks ago we brought the news that the Laughing Stock Co., a long running stage show at the Golden Horseshoe, was vacating the venue. In late fall 2013 the wildly popular Billy Hill and the Hillbillies also left Disneyland. In our August 26, 2013 Disneyland Photo Update readers saw a Walt Disney imagineering “play test” for a “new interactive experience inside the Golden Horseshoe. It seems that the “Legends of Fronierland: Gold Rush!” may be the result of these tests and changes.
“Legends of Frontierland: Gold Rush!” begins in Fronteirland at Disneyland on Wednesday, July 9, 2014 and runs through September 1, 2015.