60 Years of Imagineering
In honor of the 60th anniversary of Walt Disney Imagineering, the creative factory behind the amazing attractions and shows at the Disney theme parks and resorts, the D23 Expo will host an Imagineering “open house”. The event will take place all three days, August 9 – 11, and promises to give guests an unprecedented look into the creative process, and provide Imagineer panel discussions on Sunday, August 11.
The “open house” pavilion will provide attendees with an exclusive look into the Imagineering creative process. “Workspaces” of several project teams will also be on display, which will provide guests with a few clues into coming attractions. Historical concept art from the Imagineering Art Library, including Herb Ryman’s famous original drawing of Disneyland will be on display. The exclusive WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) employee-only store, Mickey’s of Glendale will have an outlet shop open for guests to purchase unique souvenirs and collectibles.
12 unique presentations and panel discussions will also take place throughout the duration of the D23 Expo. They include:
- The Art and Artistry of Aulani – Imagineers Joe Rohde and Janetter Lomboy will share the authentic tapestry of art and stories found at Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa.
- Mayhem, Mischief, and Monkeys: The Magic of Mystic Manor – Imagineer Joe Lanzisero leads a panel discussing the stories behind Hong Kong Disneyland’s Mystic Manor, one of the most sophisticated attractions ever built.
- Undiscovered Disneyland: Tony Baxter shares rare and never-before-seen footage of the early days of Disneyland.
- Broadcasts from Buena Vista Street: Attendees can enjoy the latest “soundtrack” from Disney California Adventure’s Buena Vista Street. The event will feature a live performance of Scary Symphony from radio station KBVS and a panel discussion led by Imagineers.
- Disney Ambassadors: Current Disney Parks Ambassadors discuss the ambassador program and share insights on its importance.
- Voices of the Disney Parks: A panel of famous Disney voices will gather for an encore panel discussion which will include some unforgettable Disney Parks sayings.
- Charles Phoenix Presents: Charles Phoenix, a self-proclaimed “retro daddy”, shares amusing images from around Disney.
Sunday, August 11 will be dedicated to the celebration of Walt Disney Imagineering’s 60th anniversary. The 2,000-seat Stage 23 auditorium will feature events hosted by former Imagineers who will discuss topics such as working with Walt Disney and his creativity, humor and innovation, as well as what it’s like to lead Walt Disney Imagineering.
D23 will release more details on the panel discussion and presenters in the near future, and when the do, we will let you know!
For those of you who don’t know, the D23 Expo is touted as the “Ultimate Disney Fan Event” that puts the entire Disney company under one roof during a three day event. The Expo takes place at the Anaheim Convention Center, across the street from Disneyland, from August 9 – 11, 2013. For more information and to purchase tickets, visit D23Expo.com.